Head Teacher: Francesca Smith
The school day is from 9:10 am to 3:10pm.
At Jack Tizard School, we believe that each pupil has the right to learn within an environment that is personalised, caring, supportive, stimulating, enjoyable, age respectful and challenging.
- Is designed to encourage the pupils to be active participants in their learning, enabling them to achieve their potential and make progress by expressing preferences, communicating needs, making choices and choosing options that other people act on and respect.
- Is flexible and has pupils at the centre of all we do. It is designed to address the individual needs of each child and to nurture their talents, not only in school but extending into their homes and communities.
- Intends to prepare our pupils to be as independent as they possibly can throughout their education and life beyond school, making a positive contribution wherever they are.
- Approaches are built on understanding each child’s point of learning; their interests, strengths and barriers, emotional and medical needs, developmental stage and learning level. Each of these areas are used to plan a personalised programme of learning intentions for each pupil.
- Topic Cycles ensure that pupils are exposed to a wide range of situations and learning experiences that are commensurate with their needs and interests.
- Makes learning fun!
Our teaching and learning opportunities are woven into the whole school day. For example, snack time provides opportunities to work on communication, making choices, being independent. By learning in ‘real life’ contexts, our pupils are supported to generalise their skills into other settings such as home, going out with their families etc.
At Jack Tizard the Primary Department covers EYFS and Key Stage One and Two. The Secondary Department covers Key Stage Three and the Post 16 Curriculum.
Our curriculum pathways run through all phases of learning and allow for approaches specific to individual needs - PMLD, ASD and Sensory, and SLD. With each pathway covering skills, knowledge and understanding across a range of areas of learning, pupils can move between the pathways at any point during their school career. We focus on the stage of learning whilst respecting the child’s chronological age, providing opportunities which offer breadth, support and challenge and fun!